Sunday 13 November 2016

Entry 1: Journalism was never my passion

R. D. Mahlo Mr.
I started practicing as a media practitioner way back in 2002, which is the year I was first introduced to the basics of writing as a Journalist. At that time I was only writing to make a living prospects and Journalism was never my passion. Then three years later I graduated in Diploma in Mas communication Programme.

After this first stepping stone, I also got promoted and worked as an Assistant Information Officer responsible for writing press releases for the Ministry of Local Government. I also participated in in the production of the majority of the information and communication materials. Therefore my writing ability were more on the soft articles and press releases only.

Then, seven year later that was in 2008, I joined the University of the Free State on study leave, to further my studies. That was where I registered, BA Degree in Corporate Communications. It is in this degree where Journalism was one of my core course all the way from first year till the final year and I learned a lot then. In this regard I learned journalism in broader way, to an extent of venturing into media and newspaper management.

In 2011, which was after three year later, and after graduating as a degree holder, I rejoined my organisation. It is at this stage that I was promoted to serve as Senior Information officer, under direct supervision of the Chief Information Officer. In my office tenure, I was in charge for both Electronic media and Print Media for the Ministry. So I was mostly writing and editing all information and communication material to be published.


Later, after a period of three years and that was in 2014, I got another promotion and worked in the Ministry of Mining where I was on my own and all forms and formats of media were my responsibility. It is in this office where I had acknowledged and admitted my writing deficiency. In this office I was faced with greatest challenge of covering events alone, writing articles on my own, editing them on my own and also charged with the responsibility to produce variety of promotional material. That is where a need to improve my Journalistic skills took its tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Interview with Lesotho Times On Upcoming Mining Reforms

  Author:  Bereng Mpaki The government has enlisted the services of the African Development Bank (AfDB) to help in reviewing its natural ...